Students must be at least 4 years of age to enroll. The school will evaluate to determine admission eligibility if a student is under age 4. Students from all backgrounds and cultures are welcome. Make sure you read through the KCA rules before the first day of class.
For the 2022-23 school year, we are offering virtual or in-person language classes, depending on the availability of instructors. There will be a special class dedicated to AP Chinese for high school students. Performing arts classes will be in-person and through Zoom. Most of the in-person classes will take place on Sunday afternoons at the Zhang Portage Community Senior Center. The instructor(s) for each class will contact registered families with more information. There will also be a few in-person social events throughout the year. We follow the KRESA academic calendar for start and end dates, as well as scheduled breaks and holidays.
- Heritage Chinese Class - Child: $310/year (31 sessions, 1hr lessons)
- Heritage Chinese Class - Youth: $310/year (31 sessions, 1hr 30 min lessons)
- Non-Heritage Chinese Class - Child: $310/year (31 sessions, 1hr lessons)
- Non-Heritage Chinese Class - Youth: $310/year (31 sessions, 1hr 30min lessons)
- AP Chinese Prep Class: $310/year (31 sessions, 1hr 30min lessons)
- Adult Dance Class: $360/year (31 sessions, 1hr 15min lessons)
- Little Star (ages 5-12) Dance Class: $300/year (31 sessions, 1hr lessons)
- Lion Dance and Martial Arts Practice Session: $70/year (20 sessions, 1hr lessons)
- Chinese YoYo Practice Session: $70/year (20 sessions, 1hr lessons) or $5/class (drop-in)
Chinese Martial Arts:
- Adult Tai Chi: $310/year (31 sessions, 1hr lessons) or $10/class (drop-in)
Visit our Programs page for class descriptions.
- Non-Heritage Chinese Child Language
- Heritage Chinese Child Language
- Adult Taichi
- Non-Heritage Chinese Youth Language
- Heritage Chinese Youth Language
- Chinese non-heritage and heritage language classes are separated into “child” and “youth” classes. Child classes are 1hr long to accommodate younger children. Youth classes (1.5hr) are for older students with more Chinese language experience. Advanced Chinese language and Chinese AP prep classes are available online.
- Chinese YoYo and Lion Dance have a meet-and-greet on the first day of school. Sessions begin in the second week of school, and continue every other week on even number weeks (see Class Schedule and Academic Calendar).
Registration and Tuition
- The non-refundable annual registration fee is $30 per family, or $20 per family if registered by Aug 15th.
- KCA Youth Dance Team for youth ages 12-18 is open for current team members only and is not accepting new members or students, but registration is still required.
- Important Note: Tuition is due on the first day when classes meet. Students will not be admitted to the school without a full payment.
Tuition Discounts: (Limit one type of discount per household - either Family or Staff.)
- Family discount (cumulative):
- $10 discount per additional course enrolled per family.
- Staff discount (non-cumulative):
- $20 discount per family for KCA staff and board members and for WMU employees.
- Performance opportunities are available through audition only. There's a $10 costume charge.
- Advanced YoYo performers will be awarded $50 scholarships to reduce the tuition to zero; the students must sign up for the new “Practice Buddy" program in order to receive the scholarship.
- The program will pair one new student with each advanced student during a practice session at the beginning of the academic year. The pairing will typically not change during the school year so they can build strong relationships.
- The program is designed to help advanced students gain leadership and teamwork skills so that they can become candidates for our upcoming student leader roles. The program will also help new students feel welcomed by other students and gain technical skills more quickly.
We accept checks and PayPal.
Please make the check payable to Kalamazoo Chinese Academy (KCA) and mail it to:
KCA, PO Box 343, Portage, MI 49081-0343
PayPal Link: paypal.me/kzooca
Refund Policy (each semester)
- Full tuition refund for students who withdraw within 2 weeks of classes.
- 50% tuition refund for students who withdraw within 4 weeks of classes.
- No tuition refund after the 5th week.
- Registration fee is non-refundable.
Students who wish to attend KCA after the school year starts will go under a language readiness assessment by the teachers. If accepted, the students will pay a prorated tuition based on each individual case.
All KCA instructors are experienced in teaching Chinese language and Chinese culture in both China and the US. They are native Chinese speakers and speak English fluently. KCA partners with the Asian Initiatives at WMU, who provides select qualified Chinese language and culture instructors to the school.
Each student who is enrolled in KCA will be given a language assessment, as deemed necessary, to help determine which level or class is the most suitable for the student. During the school year, students may be moved to a different level or class based on their individual progress.
School Cancellation Policy
Student safety is KCA’s first priority. The school follows the KRESA academic calendar, and may cancel classes in case of inclement weather and emergencies. The cancellation announcement will be sent to families via email and posted on the KCA Facebook page.